John Patton (1752-1839) was a native of Delaware who was licensed to preach the gospel in 1788. Ordained the following year, Patton entered upon his first pastoral charge at Duck Creek, a member-church of the Philadelphia Association. Along with other representatives of the Association, he conducted itinerant travels into central Pennsylvania, where a church was soon gathered at Shamokin in 1794. Here he ministered until 1809, when he removed further west in the state to pastor at Mount Moriah for the last thirty years of his life. An early supporter of both home and foreign missions, “Father John Patton clearly represented the best tradition of evangelical Calvinism” in early American Baptist life.